Coordinating my 20 hour commitment with personal trainer J, I have established a few goals to achieve from this regular fitness regimen. They are as follows:
- Weight – Drop 20 lbs. This seems like a conservative goal, considering I have 5 months to get it done, but losing weight is really challenging. I am hit-and-miss with cleaner eating and it is a constant struggle to consume enough protein and vegetables. I would eat nothing but carbohydrates, dairy, and sugar if left to my own devices and completely uncaring about my overall health.
- Strength training – 3 times per week on my own. I have a one-hour session with J each week, and I want to do 3 other sessions on my own to practice as we build upon what he has taught me in our time together. I am already learning the value of our sessions and then immediately following up afterwards on my own helps me figure out where I am still having issues and what I cannot remember. Each time he checks-in and reviews what we did the previous session, reviewing form and helping me with adjustments.
- Stretching/Flexibility – 3 to 4 yoga practices per week. I have an unlimited membership for another 13 months at my local Bikram studio, so I have the resource available to meet this goal. Now I just need to make myself stick to the schedule (Tuesday and Thursday evenings, Saturday and/or Sunday mornings) as consistently as possible.
- Cardio/HIIT – 3 days per week. My treadmill desk keeps me on my feet and walking the minimum 10,000 steps per day, plus I row on an indoor rower and/or use the arc trainer in our living room a few times per week as well for 20 to 60 minutes. However, I want to incorporate high intensity interval training (HIIT) of 30 minutes 3 times per week.
- Post updates each week. I have 20 hours/20 weeks of this program, which will officially began todayand will run through the end of 2015, which is actually 22 weeks when I counted it out. I know we are on vacation on 3 separate 5-day stretches in that period, though, so I give myself some room to maneuver and account for illness or scheduling craziness that prevents me from utilizing my training hour. Updates should be going up on Fridays.
That’s my master plan and goals for the rest of summer and into the fall. My 80 days of summer series has been going so well this is a natural transition for escalating my overall health and wellness improvement goals.
I am going to create a page from this post and link each update to it as I move along.