Yesterday was my first of 20 personal training appointments. As I mentioned in the post, I created a small set of goals to accompany this learning-series with my trainer. I am rather ridiculously uninformed about muscles, muscle groups, joints, strength, flexibility – basically all things fitness. But I am learning. I have hired a tutor in trainer J. Yesterday was actually our fourth meeting, but the first in my purchased series. We are still on floor work basics with some TRX thrown in for fun.
As this is my first “official” update, there is not much news to report or status to update. But hey, it’s Friday and I want to start strong, because it is likely updates may be late or not appear in the future. To start off with, here is the list of the floor exercises J is teaching me and working on technique with me right now:
- Glute bridge
- High tension plank
- Goblet squat
- TRX row
- Kettle bell sumo deadlift
- TRX pushup
- Band resist rotation press
- X-band walk
And with that, here my goals and progress report for the week.
- Weight – Drop 20 lbs. First week, first report, no changes … yet. But as commenter SAK and I were discussing in yesterday’s comments, I am not so worried about what the scales say so much as I am interested in how the clothes fit. For me, the very best indicator of how successful I am in this endeavor is in how the clothes fit. In addition to saving for my next go-round of personal training in 2016, my clothing allowance is being hoarded for significant milestones, events, or the killer sales that I know are coming. And I fully anticipate buying clothing in smaller sizes and/or different types of flattering styles even if the scale has not moved at all.
- Strength training – 3 times per week on my own. My next session with J is Thursday morning, and I am planning on going through my currently assigned exercises on Saturday, Monday, and Wednesday. It’s on my calendar with the most annoying reminder alarms, so I feel committed to this course of action.
- Stretching/Flexibility – 3 to 4 yoga practices per week. I was at yoga practice last night, am attending a different class tonight, and will be there tomorrow morning with my next door neighbor, so this is looking positive and successful for the week. Looking at my schedule and best use of my time, I want to experiment with 5:30 a.m classes as well. It’s an issue of consistency; I need to find a routine that works for me.
- Cardio/HIIT – 3 days per week. Rowing is my cardio drug of choice. I usually row 20 to 45 minutes per day, every morning, but I may move this to evenings instead. Again, it’s a time management issue. HIIT is in the future; I need to figure out how to do this to make it most effective for me.
- Post updates each week. Here we are – update from session 1 of 20. Not much going on yet, but the overall plan of attack is taking shape.
And with that, I am off to try out a Friday evening, non-Bikram yoga class at the studio. Happy weekending everyone!