On Friday, June 12, I posted my 80 days of summer to-do/goal list and committed to updating each week. Last week was uneventful on my progress, but I feel as if I am developing some good and healthy new habits.
- Complete 1,000,000 steps on activity trackers. ON TRACK. For the 7 day period of Monday to Sunday, total steps between my treadmill desk steps and my Garmin viviofit2 activity tracker added up to 178,000.
- Attend 25 classes yoga classes. ON TRACK. Good times and good weeks for yoga – 4 practices this week – Monday morning, Tuesday and Thursday evenings, Saturday morning.
- Use gym membership for 30 sessions of strength training. ON TRACK. I met with my trainer on Thursday and have been the gym Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday. I have also practiced the floor exercises learned with trainer J at home.
- Lose 10 lbs. ON TRACK. Down 1 lb. this week. I started working at carb counting in an effort to even out my blood sugar. So far, mostly good, although I have already had 2 instances of low blood sugar.
- Research CBT for eating habits. ABANDONED
The prohibitive cost combined with other issues going on has me tabling this as a goal for the summer.
- Decide upon and document funeral arrangement/wishes. COMPLETE. We established a separate account strictly for burial costs and have written detailed instructions about our current preferences in our trust binder. This is something we will revisit every year or two as we update our will and trust documents.
- Read two books per week. FAIL. No recreational reading again. Work, exercise, writing has consumed my spare time.
- Get a tan on my legs. COMPLETE. I am calling this good and done. I have a nice base tan on my legs and am ready to go on vacation … wearing pants. We like to walk and to hike and will be out and about a lot in the sun, and I would rather cover up than wear sunscreen.
- Hike with M 6 weekend days. FAIL. It has been an insanely busy summer with many pleasant and surprising twists and turns. I expect this may not be complete during our vacation the last days of August. We have lots of hiking and walking trips planned.
- Post 12 goal progress updates. ON TRACK. Week 10 was still all about work and settling in on a cadence and schedule to get things done. I am gaining traction with my new self-employed status and settling nicely into a schedule with trainer J, practicing my strength training exercises, yoga practices, and ongoing cardio.
While summer has a few more calendar weeks, my 80 days of summer and this series is drawing to a conclusion. Thus far, after 10 weeks, I feel really good about where I am right now and my success with this enterprise. Things changed in ways I would never have predicted when I began, and my good fortune and blessings seem to know no boundaries. I am to be enjoying these days with the sun.